Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

PaperModelKiosk.com - Alexis' Blog - Blogs
View RSS Feed

Alexis' Blog

1. In Prague, at Kubašta's door

Vojtech Kubasta's Prazský Betlém (Prague Nativity, Orbis 1968 & 1969) features Prague landmarks, including the Charles Bridge (left, above). 

Praha 5, Smichov, No. 2.   Map in hand, I turn right from Andel (Angel) Metro Station, walk two blocks, and find myself on Vojtech Kubasta's street in Prague's Smichov.

Elegant apartment buildings line Vltavska Street that leads to Prague's watery highway, the Vltava River. Almost at the water's edge, ...
    Categories
    Alexis' Blog
  2. Saint Petersburg's treasures

The Nativity, high above, on the vaulted ceiling of the Raphael Loggias, The Hermitage, Saint Petersburg, Russia.   
     The Byzantine Double-headed Eagle — looking East and West — crowns the gates of The Hermitage.  It might be a short plane ride from Medieval Tallinn — and Peter the Great's intimate Cottage and modest Kadriog Palace — but his "Window to the West," his glittering capital, Saint Petersburg, seems a world away.

The Imperial Double ...
    Categories
    Alexis' Blog
  3. Church of the Holy Ghost, Tallinn

The Nativity is found on one of the balconies of Tallinn's Holy Ghost Church……and so is Tallin's oldest clock.
     Set as it is in the heart of Tallinn's Old Town, The Holy Ghost Church is surrounded by people — but, behind its thick walls, thre's peace. I've always been fascinated with clocks; tempus fugit, as Benjamin would say.

Churches? Well, you can always do with a moment of reflection — and there's always the possibility of discovering a Nativity.
    Categories
    Alexis' Blog
  4. The Ayala Altarpiece, a Gothic narrative of the Nativity

The Ayala Altarpiece, a pictorial narrative in the Gothic linear style by an anonymous 14th century artist, is one of the Medieval masterpieces of the Art Institute of Chicago.

The photographer/blogger is ithere to provide scale: the large Ayala Altarpiece fills a gallery at the Art Institute of Chicago. I was fourteen when I first saw the Art Institute of Chicago. I arrived in the Windy City by train from New York with my adoptive parents who brought me to America. ...
    Categories
    Alexis' Blog
  5. An Antique Crèche, A Gift from Svatava Vizinová

This "Antique" crèche is a reprint of a 1900 vintage nativity, and features a new back, complete with Gothic window, courtesy of Crechemania.com After my Basilica videos, I decided to give up all the Photoshop cutting and pasting — and try an X-acto knife, instead.

The reason? Creating a new back for a lovely Czech nativity that my friend Svatava Vizinová sent me for Christmas.

"It was printed in 1900," she writes, "in Vjperty Town. This is a reprint, of ...
    Categories
    Alexis' Blog
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast