View RSS Feed

Alexis' Blog

1. The Adoration of the Magi Stained Glass Window, Basilica of St. Francis Xavier

Inspired by Fra Angelico's (Brother Angel) frescos in the Monastery of San Marco, Florence, .

Gothic architecture seems to have developed so that church walls could be pierced windows that let in the light in abundance through beautiful stained glass windows.

And so it is with the Basilica of St. Francis Xavier: 64 Gothic stained glass windows and lancets flood the church with bright Iowa sunshine.

They also illustrate the faith with splendid ...
    Categories
    Alexis' Blog
  2. A Basilica Carved Wood Nativity

The predella of the altar of the Blessed Virgin of St. Francis Xavier Basilica, Dyersville, Iowa, is adorned by polychrome wood carvings of the Annunciation, Visitation, Nativity, Presentation of Jesus at the Temple, and the Finding of the boy Jesus at the Temple.A testament to faith and art — a magnificent Gothic Basilica set amidst the corn fields of Iowa

One expects to see cornfields and rolling hills in Iowa — but a Basilica?

Yet, that's what the small sign on Highway ...
    Categories
    Alexis' Blog
  3. A Nativity in Stained Glass

This close up of the Nativity reveals a tender moment of the Virgin and Child — stained-glass window, Chapel of the Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Annunciation, Atlanta.  Holy Week (Orthodox Easter was a week late this year) found me traveling south, through Saint Louis, Nashville, and Atlanta. While the rest of my team flew, I'm covering the distance of over 1,150 miles by car. It's so much easier to pack all my camera gear in the van, and there are all those churches and beatutiful ...
    Categories
    Alexis' Blog
  4. The Parthenon Nativity

From 1954 to 1967 the Nashville Parthenon was the backdrop to a life-size Nativity. (Photo courtesy the City of Nashville.)   Before leaving Centennial Park and the Parthenon for Nashville's other famous attraction, Ryman Auditorium, the original home of the Grand Ole Opry, I sit on a park bench, in the shade.

I wonder what my childhood hero, the time-traveler Alkis, would make of the magic box I take out of my camera case: my Mac powerbook. I log onto the Web via ...
    Categories
    Alexis' Blog
  5. Parthenon Replicas — Cement or Paper?

Τhe Parthenon doesn't just crown Athens — originally built for the 1897 Tennessee Centennial Exposition, this full-sized replica adorns Nashville, "The Athens of the South."   I was nine years old the first time I saw the Parthenon, a wide-eyed village kid on my first trip to the Greek capital with my adoptive parents, just before my voyage to the New World.

For me, the Greek Gods were as real as Santa Claus was for you, so you can imagine my excitement walking on ...
    Categories
    Alexis' Blog
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314