View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Our Lady Star of The Sea Nativity, Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Traveling East, in search of The Nativity…

The miniature Nativity of Our Lady Star of The Sea, Lake Hopatcong, NJ. 
    Our Lady Star of The Sea, Lake Hopatcong, NJ., is nestled amidst beautiful Fall foliage. A stutue of Julien Dubuque—a Quebecois pioneer that first settled in the homonymous city on the Mississippi in 1785—graces the entrance of the charming Hotel Julien, my home-away-from-home on my way East.

I'm heading to New England, ...
    Categories
    Alexis' Blog
  2. A Christmas Tetraptych

A beveled glass setting for an exquisite stained glass Nativity.

Four beveled-edge glass plates frame the Adoration of the Magi, a miniature of the Epiphany stained glass window, Cathedral of the Epiphany, Sioux City, Iowa. 
    This close-up detail shows how beautifully the beveled glass sets off the stained glass.Judging from your email, The Christmas Lantern—has been well received, and it seems that Celso Rosa in Brazil is not alone looking for 3M transparency ...
    Categories
    Alexis' Blog
  3. A Christmas lantern

The Nativity shines bright on your Christmas tree, with translucent film as stained glass…

The Gothic window outlines are paper, the stained glass film—The Nativity Lantern features The Adoration of the Magi, Cathedral of the Epiphany, Soux City, Iowa. The heavy cross bars that are used to support the heavy stained glass have been removed, making for a more unified image. 
    Die Geburt Christi—The Birth of Christ—a delightful vintage German lampenschirm (lampshade). ...
    Categories
    Alexis' Blog
  4. Tharsella Pins says a tearful goodbye to St. Mary's in Dubuque, Iowa

A synagogue is thinking of selling its precious stained-glass windows to keep its doors open; a 100-year-old parishioner mourns the closing of her beloved church; and an amateur photographer sends me a letter describing how even a closed church can once again become, "a cherished and often photographed" treasure…

The unmistakeable F. X. Zettler Royal Bavarian Art Institute touch is evident in this detail of the superb Nativity stained glass window, St. Mary's Catholic ...
    Categories
    Alexis' Blog
  5. Away in a Manger—From Icons to Paper Nativities

Through the ages, inspired iconographers set down the Good News of the Gospels—“For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior. Which is Christ the Lord”—in icons of great beauty. Surely, these venerable holy images of Christ's Divine Birth also inspired the artists—and artisans—that brought us our beloved paper nativities...

The Nativity, a Byzantine icon from the Monastery of Stavronikita, Mt. Athos (The Holy Mountain), Greece. Note the multiple scenes—the ...
    Categories
    Alexis' Blog
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast