View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Berlin Cathedral Nativity

The altar screen of Berlin Cathedral frames a video of this glorious historic church, and features its beautiful stained glass window of The Nativity. [/I][/B]

Berlin Cathedral rises by the Altesmuseum in Berlin's Schlozzplatz.  Museumsinsel, Museum Island — outlined by the Spree and one of its tributaries — lies a short walk from Berlin's Brandenburg Gate and draws visitors like a magnet: to its world-famous temples of history and art (Bodemuseum, Pergamonmuseum, Altesmuseum), ...
    Categories
    Alexis' Blog
  2. Die Anbetung der Könige (The Adoration of the Magi), Gemäldegalerie, Berlin

Die Anbetung der Könige (Worshipping of the Kings) — The Adoration of the Magi — Antonio Vivarini (in collaboration with Giovanni d'Alemagna), 1419-20, Murano. (Gemäldegalerie, Berlin. [/B]One reminder of Berlin's tragic history of partition into West and East lies in a memorial a few hundred yards from its famous Brandenburg Gate. Under the shade of linden trees, black-and-white, poster-size photographs depict those who died at the hands of their compatriots in pursuit of freedom.

Categories
    Alexis' Blog
  3. Vojtěch Kubašta's No. 1 Fans in Berlin: Sebastian Koepcke & Thomas Gubig

(Above, upper right) Graphic and exhibition designers Sebastian Koepcke and Thomas Gubig with Dagmar Kubastovà Vrlkjan at the opening of their Berlin Kubašta Exhibition. (Above, bottom right) Sebastian and Thomas' Pop-up Buecher (Pop-Up Books) catalog, available online. (Kubasta exhibition and catalog photos courtesy pop-up-buecher.de.) 
     Sebastian showing me the sights — Berlin's historic Brandenburg Gate. I've been in the presence of royalty before, in Ravenna's San Vitale. ...
    Categories
    Alexis' Blog
  4. In Prague, at Kubašta's door

Vojtech Kubasta's Prazský Betlém (Prague Nativity, Orbis 1968 & 1969) features Prague landmarks, including the Charles Bridge (left, above). 

Praha 5, Smichov, No. 2.   Map in hand, I turn right from Andel (Angel) Metro Station, walk two blocks, and find myself on Vojtech Kubasta's street in Prague's Smichov.

Elegant apartment buildings line Vltavska Street that leads to Prague's watery highway, the Vltava River. Almost at the water's edge, ...
    Categories
    Alexis' Blog
  5. Saint Petersburg's treasures

The Nativity, high above, on the vaulted ceiling of the Raphael Loggias, The Hermitage, Saint Petersburg, Russia.   
     The Byzantine Double-headed Eagle — looking East and West — crowns the gates of The Hermitage.  It might be a short plane ride from Medieval Tallinn — and Peter the Great's intimate Cottage and modest Kadriog Palace — but his "Window to the West," his glittering capital, Saint Petersburg, seems a world away.

The Imperial Double ...
    Categories
    Alexis' Blog
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast