View RSS Feed

Most Popular Blogs

1. The Parthenon Nativity

From 1954 to 1967 the Nashville Parthenon was the backdrop to a life-size Nativity. (Photo courtesy the City of Nashville.)   Before leaving Centennial Park and the Parthenon for Nashville's other famous attraction, Ryman Auditorium, the original home of the Grand Ole Opry, I sit on a park bench, in the shade.

I wonder what my childhood hero, the time-traveler Alkis, would make of the magic box I take out of my camera case: my Mac powerbook. I log onto the Web via ...
    Categories
    Alexis' Blog
  2. An Antique Crèche, A Gift from Svatava Vizinová

This "Antique" crèche is a reprint of a 1900 vintage nativity, and features a new back, complete with Gothic window, courtesy of Crechemania.com After my Basilica videos, I decided to give up all the Photoshop cutting and pasting — and try an X-acto knife, instead.

The reason? Creating a new back for a lovely Czech nativity that my friend Svatava Vizinová sent me for Christmas.

"It was printed in 1900," she writes, "in Vjperty Town. This is a reprint, of ...
    Categories
    Alexis' Blog
  3. Vojtěch Kubašta's No. 1 Fans in Berlin: Sebastian Koepcke & Thomas Gubig

(Above, upper right) Graphic and exhibition designers Sebastian Koepcke and Thomas Gubig with Dagmar Kubastovà Vrlkjan at the opening of their Berlin Kubašta Exhibition. (Above, bottom right) Sebastian and Thomas' Pop-up Buecher (Pop-Up Books) catalog, available online. (Kubasta exhibition and catalog photos courtesy pop-up-buecher.de.) 
     Sebastian showing me the sights — Berlin's historic Brandenburg Gate. I've been in the presence of royalty before, in Ravenna's San Vitale. ...
    Categories
    Alexis' Blog
  4. Jennifer's Crèche — Yours free, to download and assemble!

Jennifer's Crèche — a colorful depiction of The Adoration of the Magi and Shepherds — is a present to paper nativity afficionados everywhere from Jennifer Hooton of Salt Lake City, and shown much larger than its 8 x 6.25" size.
     Jennifer Hooton. "Alexis, my dear friend," writes Jennifer Hooton from Salt Lake City, "I hope this note finds you well and happy. I have often thought of you throughout the year, wondering what fabulous part of the world you were working in. ...
    Categories
    Alexis' Blog
  5. Candles Triptych — A Free Download

In three layers created out of a single sheet, the Magi adore and candles burn brightly — the Candle Triptych.   
    "Up In the Air" is a new movie about a man who lives out of his suitcase, and I can't wait to see it.

I'll be comparing the verisimilitude of the picture with my experience this summer when I was on the go for almost three months.

I've been sharing some of my journey on this blog, but what I haven't had time to share with you ...
    Categories
    Alexis' Blog
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast