View RSS Feed

Ghost in the Machine

Don't be afraid to post a comment

Rating: 8 votes, 3.00 average.
Hello again friends of Crechemania!

I left off last time explaining how you can upload an avatar into your user profile so we could all see who you are when you post to one of the blogs. Today I'd like to go through the process of posting a comment to a blog entry.

For those of you who don't know how to do this, here is a step-by-step course in posting a comment to a blog entry...

1. If you haven't registered yet, please go through the registration process (using the Register link on the main page shown in the screen shot below). It's worth it. Not only will you be able to interact with the site but you'll also be able to access the downloads area on Crechemania.com.

2. If you're already registered, go ahead and login to Crechemania.com using the login window (see the screen shot below).

3. If you're sucessfull at logging in, you will see a message welcomeing you to the site in the upper right hand corner of the screen (as shown in the screen shot below).

Important Note: If you don't see this and you don't get an error message, then you may have to refresh your browser. If this doesn't work you'll need to quit your browser, relaunch your browser, and try logging in again.

4. Once you're logged in, you'll need to get to the Blogs in order to read them and then post a comment if you're so inclined. To do this, you will need to click on the Blogs link in the navigation bar (shown in the screen shot below).

5. Once you click on this link (shown in the screen shot above) your screen will change and you will be in the Main Blogs page (shown in the screen shot below). From here you can click on a Blog post in Recent Entries section to read one of the blog posts displayed in this window.

6. If you don't know which blog post to read, or if you want to search the blog post for entries by day, tag, or text, you can use the main Blog sidebar (shown in the screen shot below).
In this instance, we'll search the blogs for the word "child."

7. After clicking on the Search button (shown in the screen shot above), the screen will change and give you any Blog posting with the word "child" used in the title. In this instance, the search results returned a post from Alexis' Blog titled "A Christmas Manger Set, perfect for a child" (shown in the screen shot below).

8. Clicking on this post in the Search results (shown in the screen shot above) will bring up that entire post.

Person Switching Alert: Now I need to beg your indulgence as I put you in my wife's shoes (so to speak). For the rest of this How-To we'll proceed by talking about what Krista (DW) had done (as an example), rather than what you would do. We hope this example will be more instructive.

9. As Krista reads this post she sees a reference to herself and the Christmas Manger set that she gave Alexis for Christmas (shown in the highlighted text in the screen shot below).
She feels honored to have been included in Alexis' Blog so she decides to post a comment.

10. After Krista finishes reading the post, she scrolls to the bottom of the blog page and finds (below a comment from Celso) a small pencil icon with the words "Post a Comment" next to it (shown in the screen shot below). She clicks on the pencil and/or "Post a Comment" link.

11. This opens up the Post a Comment screen (with the advanced formatting bar) where Krista writes her comment to Alexis (shown in the screen shot below).
Since Krista is fairly web-savey, she uses the BBCode tools in the advanced formatting tool bar to...

• link the words "your blog" to Alexis' Blog web page using the link BBCode tags (via the tool bar) by highlighting the words "your blog" and clicking on the Link button and then copying & pasting in the URL for Alexis' Blog into the pop-up window that appeared

• color the words "your blog" dark red using the color BBCode tags (via the tool bar) by highlighting the words "your blog" again and clicking on Text color button and then selecting the color (from the drop-down color palette) that she wanted

• add a winking smile face - (via the too bar) by clicking on the Smiley face button and then choosing the smiley face that she wanted from the drop-down smiley face menu

• insert an image of the Christmas Manger that Alexis used in his blog post (shown below in step 12) using the image BBCode tags (via the tool bar) by clicking on the Insert Image link button and copying & pasting the image source URL into the pop-up window that appeared

• and put the word "you" in bold using the bold BBCode tags (via the tool bar) by highlighting the word "you" and then clicking on the text Bold button

Note: There are more BBCode tools there that she could have used, but she chose to stop with the ones she used. We encourage you to learn these tools to help make your comments more expressive.

12. As Krista looked at the message box with all of the BBCode tags (shown in the screen shot above), she really couldn't tell how this would look when she decided to post it. So she clicked on the Preview button and was shown a preview of what her post would look like before she actually posted it (shown in the screen shot below).

13. Happy with the way her post looked, Krista scrolled down (to her actual post) and was about ready to click the Post Now button. But she realized that there were some Additional Options below her message. She decided that she liked Alexis' Blog entry so much that she would subscribe to it via e-mail using the Instant email notification option from the Notification Type menu (shown in the screen shot below) so that she would receive e-mail if anyone else posted something about this blog entry.

14. Krista was now ready to post her comment. So she clicked on the Post Now button. It immediately changed the screen and she saw her comment with her Avatar on the same page as the post from Alexis' Blog titled "A Christmas Manger Set, perfect for a child" right below Celso's previous comment (shown in the screen shot below).

15. When Krista returned to the main Blogs page to see if anyone else had written any new Blog posts, she was happy to see her avatar and the title of her comment at the top of the Recent Comments pane across from the Recent Entries pane (shown in the screen shot below).

16. Feeling satisfied and web-savey... Krista went to bed

I'd like to thank my dear wife (DW) Krista for lending me her avatar and her account so that I could post this example (as well as others).

I hope that these instructions were clear to you. If I've said something that you don't understand (or perhaps didn't explain well in the first place) please feel free to leave me a comment on this blog. Trust me... if you're not understanding something then there are others that aren't understanding it as well. You won't look dumb. You'll be a hero for asking the question.

In upcoming blog posts I'll be going through the process of setting up your own albums, joining social groups, and adding your images to a social group album.

I hope this help you feel more comfortable with posting comments. Please don't be afraid to post your comments. We really do want to hear from you!

All my best.

- Benjamin

Submit "Don't be afraid to post a comment" to Digg Submit "Don't be afraid to post a comment" to del.icio.us Submit "Don't be afraid to post a comment" to StumbleUpon Submit "Don't be afraid to post a comment" to Google Submit "Don't be afraid to post a comment" to Facebook Submit "Don't be afraid to post a comment" to Twitter

Comments